Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Life in the Sticks: The Owl

We started our building project in the fall of 2007, shortly after David began working out here he spotted "the biggest owl" he'd ever seen. Over the years he has spotted the owl several times, flying around the house, perched high in the trees, once it even sat on the bushes watching him while he worked outside. I, on the other hand, had never spotted the owl, not once. I was beginning to think it was a figment of his imagination, surely I would have seen it after 3 years of living out here! Well, this morning I did finally see it and it.was.awesome! The boys and I watched it fly back and forth in the back yard, I assume looking for little rodents to make its breakfast. Three times it stopped and just perched on a bush (or a snow pile) looking around, turning its head this way and that in the crazy cool way owls move. We were fascinated but it and it total awe of how HUGE it was!! Seeing it I was even comforted slightly because, despite it's large size, I do not think it is quite big enough to carry off my oversized mini- dachshund, especially with his added "holiday weight" lol. It was SO neat to practially jump up and down in my giddy excitement see the excitement on my kid's faces while watching the owl, and to hear my their shrieks of joy when it looked our way. I love living out here in the "sticks", I know it's not for everyone but I LOVE encountering nature on a near daily basis...except for that stinking muskrat...that blog will be coming soon. I actually want to start a "series" of 'Life in the Sticks' blogs about the random things that happen on 30 acres of "wild land" 20 mins from town,  an idea I got after my run in with a muskrat, so I guess this is the first. I kept forgetting to post the muskrat story, so that one will be from the "archives" of my mind but it's a good one, and a good laugh...now...

In the meantime, try not to hold your breath for in anticipation & enjoy the few pictures I snapped of our elusive owl friend this morning. 

"What are you looking at?!?"


This was crazy cool to watch but hard to photograph with a point & shoot
I wish you could see this better, you can sort of see how long his wing is in relation to his body. It was SUPER impressive!

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing, Nay - and HUGE! I'm looking forward to the "Life in the Sticks" series, too. Way better than my idea of "Life in the Suburbs - a series of short stories on the crazy things my kids do in our backyard that has no playground equipment"... ;)

    ReplyDelete