The day started out ok, got the kiddos out of the house and was on the road when my friend called, for some reason the play gym wasn't open when it was supposed to be- plan change 1. So we quickly made a back up plan of Target shopping and McDonalds, we still had a nice time (cause she's just fun:) but it wasn't the "let the kids run amuck & just chill out visiting" time we had planned. The kids were not so happy to be baby shower shopping in Target, rather than running amuck, and once we said "Happy Meal" that was all they wanted. Not so bad, you say, why is she whining? It gets better, I promise...
Next was off to the swimming pool. I go twice a week to train for a triathlon I am attempting next month. Swimming is my weakest link by far (envision a fish out of water- that's what I look like in the water) and I don't love going. I had been trying to talk myself out of it for 24 hours but finally forced myself to go, got into the locker room and started getting ready only to discover I had not brought my swimsuit- no I am not kidding. Frustrated I re-packed my stuff and wandered out to ask the lifeguard to initial my punch card so I didn't just pay to check out the locker room. When I told her why I was leaving 5 secs after she'd let me in she offered me her swimsuit- plan change 2. Now, before you all get totally grossed out, I REALLY needed to get my workout in, she was clean, it was clean and I was about to take a dip in a giant pool of bleach :). I was very grateful for the suit, although it was a bit big and every time I climbed out of the pool, I walked around looking like I had pooped myself. Oh well, I got my workout in, right?
After my swim I went to look for some pants. I have recently been loosing weight and working out hard, my wardrobe is starting to reflect this. I really needed some new workout pants because running with your pants falling down around your bootie is no fun, no fun at all. Unfortunately, right after getting into the dressing room my mom called, she was not feeling well and really needed a nap- plan change 3. I should add right here that she was apparently not feeling well when I dropped them off but didn't say anything so I would go work out and I really appreciate it. So I grabbed the vacuum cleaner filters I needed and ran to get my boys. After picking up my niece and dropping her with her mom, the boys and I went home. I was pretty tired by this point, as were my kiddos, and should have known my nice evening was not likely to happen but I was too tired to notice.
I got home only to realize I had grabbed the wrong filters for my vacuum and the socks I purchased for my oldest (who desperately needed them) were too big. Then the phone rings, my husband has called to ask me to look up something about the property we are building on. When I tell him I cannot find it, he seems overly irritated. Upon further questioning he tells me that there is a problem getting the mortgage to pay off the construction loan on our house. I'll spare you the details but ultimately we are going to have to jump through a hoop or two to get the loan, a headache we did not foresee this late in the game. Unfortunately when my husband first mentioned this to me he didn't have time to discuss our options and I spent the next hour crying and stressed out that someone was going to take our house because we owed money. Later, after much hysteria, he came home and informed me we had options and are not going to loose the house.
Before he got home, however, my 4 year old decided to have an all out fit over his egg & toast because the egg "looked funny". By this point I was done, emotionally at the end of my rope and hanging on by a fingernail. When he started to scream, clawing at his face (no joke) as if I had just fed him live spiders while my two year old laughed hysterically at him, I lost it....not lost it (as in my marbles) but just started laughing. It was beyond ridiculous, his fit, the entire day and I could do nothing else but laugh. I mean come on, admit it, you're laughing too. I sent Isaiah to his room and after a few more minutes of mass hysteria he calmed down and finished his dinner (ugly egg & all). Later we had some fun playing "raspberry" games on my battle worn stomach, laughing uncontrollable as Joshua would say "watch this daddy" and Isaiah crammed his head hard into my stomach then squished it up around his face (this optimizes sound). I'd like to say this happy moment was the end of the evening but it wasn't. A emotional conversation about whether or not we should have one more kid ended the evening and I went to bad sad and frustrated.
This morning, however, brought fresh perspective. Everyone has bad days, days where nothing goes as planned, kids get tired and throw fits, swimsuits get left at home. :) You just have to roll with it, life is messy at best most days and if you can't just laugh about it (now or later) you'll never make it through intact. Just listing the events of my yesterday have had me laughing, one of those "are you kidding me?" kind of laughs. The truth is, a bad day for me would be a really great one for many people. I don't mean that to sound egotistical, just that there are a lot of people out there who have much, much less than I do or much, much more things to worry about. As for the house situation and the "great baby debate", the most I can do is sit back and give it up to the One who can "fix it". He knows my heart for a baby, He knows David's heart too. He knows the work we've put into a home our children can grow up in and He alone can protect it. So today, while I am emotionally drained from yesterday, I have a smile on my face and laughter in my heart. No one said life would be easy and somedays you just gotta laugh...
Unfortnately these days are all too familiar. However, your turn around time (the time between it happening and you being able to laugh about it) is really impressive. :) Love you. Thanks for the laugh (but sorry it all happened). ;)
ReplyDeleteIf you don't laugh you'll cry! I totally relate!
ReplyDeleteYou're right, the "ugly egg" story had me laughing! You poor thing...one day at a time, right?!
ReplyDeleteI laughed too, when I got to the "ugly egg" and "scratching his face" part! So funny.... I know, I know, I'll see my day of the same thing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so tired most days that I don't know how I"m going to fold all the laundry and put away the dishes. And....I want another. weird? maybe. I'm up for the challenge.
I hope things work out, soon. I'm sure this house stuff is making you crazy.
As for the Great Baby Debate....it's up to someone else. It'll work out in the end.