I know that normally my blogs are heavy on the emotion or full of deep thoughts (well as deep as mine get anyway lol) but today I thought I would share some light hearted moments from my day.
Yesterday we took the boys fishing for the first time. Some of you may be appalled by this, knowing my husband is an avid fisherman, but building a house took up most of his spare time and I am not "intellectually equipped" to take them on my own (not to mention there is no way their first fishing experience could be sans David). It was an impromptu decision, the weather was nice and while in Sportsman's Warehouse the boys spotted fishing poles...well the rest is history. We left SW equipped with two Toy Story poles, a little bait and two very excited little boys. It was all they could do to maintain normal volumes as we drove to the lake we had decided upon, actually it is a series of lakes, and we picked the one no one was at. It was just us, and it was perfect.When we arrived my oldest informed me that "Daddy wants you to take fishing lessons, so that you can learn to fish" before we even exited the car. Apparently my reputation preceded me :).
We got down to the lake, happy to see a long gravel bar of shallows that the boys could play in while attempting to hook their first big catch. The only problem was impromptu fishing trips with one kid in diapers meant only one diaper (recently changed) in our arsenal so when Joshua decided to get his feet wet all clothing came off, including the diaper. Shortly after Isaiah decided he too needed to get his feet wet and didn't want to run the risk of his clothes getting wet also. So, what did we have? Two nude little boys with poles in the water, waiting for fish. What lesson did we learn? Always have swim trunks in the truck on nice weekend days in case of impromptu fishing trips :). As I said we were alone so I didn't mind the fact that they were running around with their tooshies out but taking pictures without "po-pos" (as my friend calls them) in them was much more of a challenge.
Within 15 mins of getting their lines wet Isaiah had his first fish. He very excitedly reeled it in but refused to hold it for the picture. My sweet oldest loves animals but is not fond of touching the slimy ones lol. Daddy and son proudly posed for their picture, I am not sure which had the bigger smile. Isaiah's proclamation after his first catch was "wow, fishing is easy", to which his dad chuckled. Only moments later, while trying to be patient waiting for his next bite he changed his mind saying "fishing is so hard". Apparently patience is the virtue he is still working on (join the club, at least he's in good company:). Josh too hooked his first fish, maybe ten minutes after his brother. Watching him reel it in was hysterical to say the least, he sounded as if he was running the last leg of a marathon and kept saying "I gotcha!". When he did land his fish (about a 5 inch rainbow) he was very excited! Unfortunately the fish flopped out of David's hands before we were able to get a picture- sigh, such is life. We stayed on the lake for almost two hours, surprised at how well the boys stayed focused on their fishing. Isaiah caught one more (more excited jumping around followed:), Josh had one on the line but inexperienced momma didn't get the hook set fast enough (cut me some slack, the fish were tiny:) and it got off. Isaiah announced after his second fish that he was now a "fisherman" and had caught the "fishing bug". I joked with David after this last statement that we needed to have a little girl so I had someone to keep me company when they were out fishing all the time. To this Isaiah said "mommy, you can just be a girl who comes with us", and melted my heart. Don't get me wrong, I have every intention of fishing often with my boys but I will be honest, 10-12 hours days spent on the water are not my cup of tea. I just don't have the patience for it, unless I am catching lots of fish or we are somewhere with plenty to see :). If my boys want me to come, however, I will and wear a smile on my face whether I am bored or not, that's part of what family is about.When it was time to go, both boys were not really ready but we had some things that needed done around our yard before this summer's elusive sunshine disappeared again.
All in all it was a wonderful day spent with my favorite guys. In the two years we were building the shop I daydreamed often about such days with my family and it was even better then I imagined it. I eagerly look forward to our next adventure.

Proud daddy, proud son

David helping Josh reel his fish in

Nude fishing
So lovely. I think the one with the boys should be framed- it's perfect!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the nude fishing! Ha! Perfect!
ReplyDeleteToo cute!! Luke got the same pole yesterday for his bday and I can't wait til the boys can all go. Love your pics!
ReplyDelete