Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Its the little things that add up to a big life

I confess, my attitude of late has pretty much stunk. I have tried so hard to see past where I am that I have ended up with a headache from the eye strain. The house project has consumed our lives in ways most of you may not understand. I feel like I have lived the past 4 years mostly on hold and I am tired of the cheesy music. Recently, I have had a change of heart or a slow, much needed, attitude adjustment. Thanks to reading some great examples a few friends have posted of late (weird that they do not know each other & both have done this) about the little things that make them smile, I realized I had not been taking stock of the really important things in life. The little things that occur daily, weekly, monthly in our lives and we sometimes miss or fail to give full credit to, because of the "big things" that distract us. So I have decide to take a moment to list some of those little things that make my heart soar, that make me smile, even make me tear up a bit (in a good way) below.


*After nearly 40 years of marriage my parents can still embarrass me sometimes with their affection for each other
*Many of my boy's playmates are the children of my old playmates & friends
* Isaiah telling his brother "I love you Joshy" out of the blue in the car & Josh returning with an "I you too brabo"
* The light in my children's eyes when daddy walks in
* The look my husband gives me when he thinks I am being "very me" as if at that moment he can see every reason he loves me (it's a really good one:)
* That I can see one of my best friends from 2500+ miles away & our children can "play" together (Skype rules)
* My kids have all four grandparents who love to love on them (Papa, Grinny, Papa Gone & Grama Bucky, as Josh calls them :)
* Isaiah saying "mom, I pretty love you"
* Joshua climbing in my lap & saying "hi mommy" over & over while hugging me
* The smell of my kids when they are freshly bathed
* Dark chocolate, iced lemon water & a favorite show
* Opening my bible right to a verse that speaks directly to how I am feeling
* Riding my bike fast, it still makes me feel like a kid
* Isaiah saying his bed time prayers, or as he puts it "telling God a story" :)
* Pastor Gary hugging me every time I walk into church, makes me feel 12 years old again (I love it:)
* A beautiful smile from sweet coffee gals when I have had a rough morning
* Isaiah & Joshua wrestling together
* David's hands dwarfing mine
* Laughing, laughing, laughing- my boys have me doing this a lot
* Random text messages from my niece
* Inside jokes, the good ones that make you laugh so hard just remembering them
* Being "straight out of middle school, no one is watching, it's late & you're tired" silly
* My family & their pickles on tacos :)

I really could just go on and on. There are so many things in my life I need to take time to remember, rather than focus on the rough stuff. I know that this time will pass and if I don't treasure each day because I am so "fed up" with what we are dealing with, I will miss out. I am looking forward to the house being done, more than anything so we can have David full time again, so he doesn't have to miss stuff. In the meantime I am going to remember to remember the little things that are the most important. My life isn't just about the big events, it's about my day to day, week to week, month to month. Given that what I listed above is just the tip of the iceberg, I would say I have a pretty big life & should be thankful for every second.

3 comments:

  1. So true! I have to make lists of things I am grateful for often. How soon I forget! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, Renee! I love your writings! I think you and Hanna are kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder.. and the inspiration to do the same with my own life. (make a list of things I love and am greatful for) ... and on a side note ~ Totally forgot about the dill pickles on nachos! Lol... that was sooo good. I might have to make those for dinner tonight. lol.. Love you ;-) ~Sam

    ReplyDelete